Friday, January 20, 2012

The best explanation of SOPA and PIPA I've seen.

Mike Silva's New York Baseball Digest has the best explanation I've read on the impact of SOPA and PIPA. If you're not a baseball person, don't worry. It's not a post about baseball but rather uses baseball as a context in which the law would impact his blog. Here are a few great points he makes:

"I think it’s important to understand this isn’t something falling along party lines, this is a fight by the establishment (i.e. corporations) to use legislation to stack the deck in their favor since our Fortune 500s have lost the desire to compete in a free marketplace."

"I am not supporting anyone going to an illegal site to download a movie, game, or music. I believe this type of bill with vague standards is just the beginning of corporations extending their tentacles to snuff out competition. Small independent websites don’t have the budget to hire a $500 dollar per hour corporate attorney to watch for every violation. I try to make sure that all pictures and videos here are legal (I rely on YouTube to do that for me on the latter), but undoubtedly there has to be errors at some point. In theory, this bill could allow MLB to shut me down on a whim without a chance of a fight. Do you think sites that criticize Bud Selig or a specific team would get more scrutiny? With all the laws on the books it’s highly likely they could find something to tie you to a violation. If you don’t believe me, clearly you don’t understand this country’s modern corporate culture and what it’s about."

"Business has become about legislating out competitors versus generating new ideas or improving current product lines."

No comments: