Thursday, December 8, 2011

MMO Fan Shot: My Tribute To Jose Reyes

I was planning to write a post about why it feels different for the Mets to lose Jose Reyes to free agency compared to other players but guest blogger Noah Rainwater beat me to it with a phenomenal tribute of his own at Mets Merized Online. It is definitely a must-read for any Met fan trying to make sense of the Reyes situation.

For me personally, I remember Jose Reyes' major league debut against the Texas Rangers. As big a baseball and Met fan as I am, the only other Met whose major league debut I remember watching is Dwight Gooden against the Houston Astros, and I was only 11 years old at the time of Gooden's debut. So it's Jose and that's it. Honestly, I can't even remember the team against whom David Wright made his major league debut.

There was something about Reyes, especially watching him get his first big league hit and scoring from first base on a hit by Roger Cedeno that didn't even reach the warning track in left-centerfield. I remember thinking to myself, 'I've never seen a baseball player run that fast in my entire life.' Watching that cannon of an arm on his first fielding chance also made me downright giddy. Like I said, the guest blog post sums it up very well and is worth reading.

No comments: