Wednesday, February 1, 2012

The Fallacy of the "New York Yankee Fan"

A fantastic post by Matt Cerrone over at Metsblog about why he's optimistic for the 2012 New York Mets season. He explains in excellent terms something I've always thought but have never quite been able to put in terms as perfect as these when it comes to that team in the Bronx and their pathetic fair weather fans:

"...I will never understand how some Yankees fan, who barely check in on baseball from April through August, then only watch in September and October, are happy when their team wins. To each his own I guess, and I try not to judge, but, to me, that would be like tuning in to the last five minutes of a movie and cheering when Luke takes down Vadar. At that point, I'd rather not watch at all. I mean, how can you really appreciate the accomplishment and be truly happy for the people on field if you have no real idea about what went in to getting there?"

This explains why I've met so many "Yankee fans" that say they don't like baseball in those seasons when the Yankees are losing but act like they've been there through the years all along when the Yankees are winning. This is even though they have probably never heard of the likes of Steve Balboni, Mel Hall, Kevin Maas, Roberto Kelly and many more.

No comments: