Monday, April 18, 2011

"We'll make it. Just don't ask me how."

Washington Post columnist Steven Pearlstein wraps up his two-week sojourn to India with a wrap-up of where India has been and where she's headed. In the end, there is a sense of reserved optimism or hopeful pessimism in India, which goes hand-in-hand with the quote that I used for the title of this post, "We'll make it. Just don't ask me how."

The blurb from the article that stood out for me, for personal reasons, was:

"Cummins, the big U.S.-based engine company, has had a plant in Pune since 1962, and demand for its products are so brisk that it will open a second, bigger production campus 90 miles away."

My family comes from Pune and my father had a job offer from Cummins in 1970. He had also just gotten an immigration visa to the United States and decided to turn down the Cummins job offer and move to the United States instead. It's kind of nice to see Cummins still operating in Pune and still holding the same presence that I had always heard about.

No comments: