Wednesday, December 9, 2009

What the BCS Playoffs should look like...

I wrote a post in February that I revisited in October about what the BCS playoff system should look like. Well, based on my suggestions, here is what the 2009-2010 playoffs would look like:

#1 Alabama vs. #8 Georgia Tech (Orange Bowl)
#2 Texas vs. #7 Ohio State (Sugar Bowl)
#3 Cincinnati vs. #6 Oregon (Fiesta Bowl)
#4 TCU vs. #5 Boise State (Rose Bowl)

I realize that one of my alma maters, the Iowa Hawkeyes, would be eliminated from a BCS Bowl game, as would the Florida Gators. However, I said in my original post in February, only conference champs deserve a spot and at-large spots should only be awarded if there are less than 2 non-BCS conference teams in the top 10 in the final BCS standings. There are two again this year as well as two more in the top 25 overall (BYU at #14 and Utah at #23). It's hard to imagine with the number of January bowl games in addition to the BCS games that any of the non-conference champs would not get a prime bowl game. Iowa and Florida both controlled their own destiny and lost (the Hawkeyes' case, twice) so it's not unfair to bump them, especially considering both TCU and Boise State are unbeaten.

Oddly enough, the TCU-Boise State matchup would still take place in my system, albeit in Pasadena, CA rather than Glendale, AZ. In the current BCS system, I don't like those two teams playing each other because it's a slick way for the BCS to eliminate the issue of how mid-major teams stack up against the power conferences by having the two mid-major teams play each other. I would have preferred seeing TCU play Cincinnati and Boise State play Florida in the current system.

Thoughts? Comments? Please let me know. Thanks for reading!

No comments: