Saturday, September 17, 2011

More on the Mets and they NYPD/FDNY/PAPD caps.

Thanks to my friend Neil Parekh for pointing out this blog post by Keith Olbermann at MLB.com. Keith gets hammered for being a partisan political talking head but don't forget he did start out as a sportscaster and was one of the faces of ESPN in its early days. One point he made in response to a tweet he received really drives the point home on why the Mets should have worn those hats:

"As an aside, I should note that I actually got a tweet from an idiot who wondered why I thought wearing the NYPD/NYFD/PAPD/EMS caps was somehow “patriotic.” It never crossed my mind. It has nothing to do with patriotism. 343 firefighters and paramedics died that day. 23 New York policemen did. And 47 from the Port Authority Police. This is about remembering them – and acknowledging what all those who survived did for this city and the wounds they still have. For me, as the grandson of a New York fireman, and the descendant of several others, and many NYPD and regional PD, this is something deeper than patriotism."

No comments: