Friday, October 29, 2010

I know we're trying but we really have a LONG LONG way to go...

A White House blog post this week talked about the Department of Transportation awarding $2.4 Billion as part of its efforts to develop high-speed rail in the United States. Now everyone that’s reading this knows how I feel about high-speed rail. What solidified it much more for me was what a colleague of mine from our Shanghai office told me. He’s working out of the New York office for two weeks and he said his hometown of SuZhou is roughly 74 km (46 miles) from Shanghai. He said the new high-speed line cuts the 45 minute ride of the older trains down to 25 minutes.

Someone show me a new train anywhere in the United States that covers roughly 50 miles between two major cities in under an hour, let alone 45 minutes or 25 minutes?

No comments: