Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Phoenix Suns Protest Arizona Immigration Law By Wearing 'Los Suns' Jerseys on Cinco de Mayo

As you can tell, I love the intersection of sports and politics, hence the name of this blog. Thank you Phoenix Suns for doing the right thing! I have a feeling Steve Nash was a part of this decision. Nash has always been more vocal about his politics than most other athletes, especially in 2003 when he spoke out against the Iraq War. In a recent Sports Illustrated article, he said, "...I'm left-leaning for certain, and I'm all for capitalism. But, at the same time, I feel that education and health care are human rights." Also, Steve Nash's sister is married to the only person of Indian descent in professional hockey. (This has nothing to do with politics but I just felt like mentioning it.)

Now if I can only figure out how the Arizona Diamondbacks explained the state's new immigration law to the team's Latin American ballplayers...

No comments: